May 28, 2008

Getting Crazy on the River

Ok tonight session wasn't very good (down ~ $8 in 200 hands) so I have several candidates for today's post. The hand I selected illustrates how we need to learn when to let a hand go and give up on a bluff.



The real questions about this hand are what the hell are we doing in it after the flop and why didn't our opponent raise on the river. My plan was to call the flop and rep the Q by betting the turn but I really should have given this one up when my turn bet was called. Betting $4 on the river here is just plain stupid and represents 1/2 of our total loses for this session! As to why our opponent didn't raise our river bet; the only thing I can figure is that he thought we had the case Ace for a split pot and didn't want to pay max rake by getting all in. Only thing that really make sense. But remember you should always raise on the river with the 2nd nut. Any Queen will likely call you, but 3 5 will likely fold!

No comments: