May 27, 2008

1st Post

So yesterday on CardChat, I read a post from IceMonkey9 ranking the blogs of CC members and I think, hmmm….maybe I should start my own blog but what would I write about that the other members weren’t covering (likely much better than I ever could). Since I drew a total blank I just forgot about it. Then today I read a post by FPaulsson asking people to share their worst mistakes and I though hell I’ve made enough bad plays to fill a book … or a blog! And so The Dumbest Thing I Did Today was born. My hope is that you’ll share my mistakes and then be better prepared to avoid doing the same stupid things yourself.

Some mistakes may be small and some will surely be huge but they will all be MY OWN DAMN FAULT. No bad beats. No big draws that just didn’t make it. Just stupid, stupid plays. Occasionally I’ll post a hand that I sucked out on and won but the play that got me there will have been totally wrong.

Before we get to our 1st Dumb Thing I Did Toady (DTIDT) let me take a minute to tell you a little bit about my game. I started playing online just about 1 year ago. I’ve turned my initial $50 deposit (Bodog) into over $1000 today. I mainly play NL25 on Full Tilt these days and my bankroll there is just over $500. I use Poker Tracker 3 to keep tabs on my game (and those of my opponents) and it puts me at 6.3 PTBB/100 or about $3.15 for every 100 hands I play. So I am a winning player but I still make some of the dumbest plays you’ll ever see. And, although it’s from February, here is the 1st one I’d like to share with you.




What we have here is the classic case of overplaying AK (after we missed and failed to make a cbet) against a calling station. I’d played with our villain here enough to know that he wouldn't fold any pair but instead of waiting for a real hand to take his stack I decided to “push him off” his hand and give him mine. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. It’s these major mistakes that negatively affect our overall win rate the most.

No comments: