October 6, 2008

Gonna Be A Showdown!



Love that movie and my topic today just reminded me of that clip. I'm of course talking about showdown (SD) versus non-showdown (NSD) winnings. Now I've always had positive NSD winnings which isn't all that common but it's not really rare either. It means that I bluff a bit, maybe bet a little more often on the river, perhaps make slightly larger bets than some other TAG players. Nothing wrong with any of that. In fact, I'd say on a whole those things are good, if used in maderation.

Here is my PT3 graph from the 1st half of July when I was playing very good poker.

My stats for this period were: 14/11/5 with a WTSD of 24%

Now here is the 2nd half of the same month when I was still winning but not as much.

My stats over this period were: 15/12/3 with a WTSD of 29%

Just for a little more proof, here's my horrible graph from last month.

My stats for last month were: 17/14/3 with a WTSD of 28%

So what can we take away from all these pretty pictures? Basically that becoming a bluffy, calling station is BAD for your (and my) bottom line. So this month this is my focus. I want to keep my WTSD % right around 25% because while winning pots with big bluffs is fun (I mean who doesn't like a good bluff), winning money is even more fun.

So far this month, I've been able to do just that and I'm really playing well. Of course I still get caught bluffing occasionally, but if you don't you're not doing it enough. I'm also still making some mistakes, here is a couple of my worst on the month thus far (note that these occurred on the same table with the same villain all within 15 minutes of each other):



Very 1st hand at the table but we have stats on our villain. He's 52/33/3 with an ATS of 85% over 50 hands. I obviously felt that I was WAY ahead of our villains stealing range and I like to make big raises when I first sit down to keep these pesky blind stealers at bay. Of course this time he has AK and we're down a stack!



Hand replayer is displaying the result of this one incorrectly. I lost another stack to the maniac with AK yet again. Hey, he can't have it every time can he?



This time I'm given good odds to call the shorty's push to see the flop but I was gun shy. I'd see this movie one too many times and of course he's still holding AK. He left the table shortly after this hand, I would assume to go buy lottery tickets. Oh well, sometimes bad players get good cards. Maybe someday I'll let that sink in and not get crazy with my AJ+ hands. Then again maybe not, I mean what's 200 bbs among friends?

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Do you have software that makes the graphs?

WVHillbilly said...

They are generated by Poker Tracker 3. It's a great program and they offer a 60-day free trial. I also have Holdem Manager, they also offer a 5K hand free trial, but I prefer PT3 (although a lot of people like HEM better). I would recommend downloading and trying both. Either one will surely improve your game.