October 26, 2008

Loss

No poker update here. I haven't been playing for a few days now. A great friend of mine, Kevin, was killed in an automobile accident on the night of the WVU-Auburn game. He decided to leave our tailgate early (pre-game) because his girlfriend got too drunk to be able to go to the game. He decided that he would leave, get a hotel room and spend the night near Morgantown. He left at approximately 6:30 PM and at 7:19 he was declared dead.

Apparently his SUV left the roadway and when he jerked it back on it rolled over. It ended up rolling 60' down an embankment. Kevin was not wearing his seatbelt and was ejected from the vehicle. He was killed instantly. His girlfriend, Devon, remains in the hospital and her prognosis is uncertain.

Kevin was a great friend. I first met him in HS and we'd been close every since. He has a personality that everyone loved to be around. I've never known anyone who had a single bad word to say about him. Truly one of the best people I've ever known. I'll miss him immensely.

The best thing about Kevin's last day was that he spent it enjoying the little things. He decided to take the afternoon off of work to drive to Morgantown, despite not having a ticket for the game, simply to tailgate with friends and enjoy the big game atmosphere. We drank a few beers (his BAC was under the legal limit), ate some great Del Monaco steaks, played some cornhole, and just enjoyed a beautiful fall afternoon. Twice I heard Kevin comment that he was so glad that he decided to come along because there was no where else he wanted to be. His last day was truly great and I was fortunate enough to share it with him.

When Kevin decided he was going to leave to find a room, I helped him to get his car out around the other tailgaters in the lot. When his car was clear he stuck his hand out the window to shake my hand. As he grabbed it he said "Love ya brother" to which I replied "You too man" and he pulled away. Those words were the last I will ever speak to my friend and I'm so grateful for them, yet I wish with all my heart there could be more.

Kevin leaves behind 3 children (ages 2, 4, and 13), 7 brothers and sisters, both parents, and more friends than I could ever enumerate. He will be missed by all but his spirit and love for life will always live on in those of us that remember him. I'll never forget you brother.

2 comments:

ChuckTs said...

Wow, that's so tragic. I'm so sorry for your loss hillbilly, it sounds like he was a great guy. Poor kids too. I don't know what to say; if you need someone to talk to I'm here.

-Taylor

Memphis MOJO said...

Sorry about your loss. I didn't know him obviously, but that's just awful.