January 24, 2009

Running With The Devil

No, not the Van Halen song, I'm referring to my current dalliance with 6-max pokers! I know, I know, I vowed to never go back because the variance and tilt inducing suckouts were too much for my fragile brain. So what made me change my mind? The Charlie Daniels Band! You see I was listening to The Devil Went Down to Georgia a few weeks ago and I realized that the Devil (is it proper to capitalize Devil like you do with God?) is beatable and the reward for beating the Devil is a golden fiddle! Now since I don't play the fiddle, I'll have to sell it but I figure I can get a good price for it by sending it to Cash4Gold! So beating the Devil has become my new goal.

In addition to the golden fiddle I realized that most of the players at 50nl 6-max are horrible AND 6-max seems to have virtually zero short-stackers (short-stackers are the current plague of FR poker IMO). An example from earlier tonight:


Note that the shortest stack is 70bbs deep and we're able to get the villain to put ~120bbs into the middle with TPNK. This craziness of course leads to some sick variance but I think the overall horrible play should make 6-max more profitable overall especially since I was never able to play more than 8 tables of FR anyway.

Anyway, only 5500 hands at 6max so far, but I'm running at a respectable 5.7BB/100 thus far. We'll see how it plays out over a larger sample. Oh yeah, and for all you young children who have no idea who The Charlie Daniels Band is, here's your YouTube video.

2 comments:

Icemonkey9 said...

If you consider 5.7BB/100 "respectable" I'd sure as hell like to know what'd be good!?

I think this 6max experience will get your post-flop game (especially in 3bet hands) much sharper. Just get ready for the swings though. Good luck!

Jurn8 said...

sweet WV nice work buddy! Top win rate. Also about short stackers at FR your correct. I thought 10NL was bad but they are everywhere at 25NL I cant get away from them!!
GL mate
Jake