September 3, 2008

6-Max Action At Two Different Levels

Ok, so in my last post I mentioned that my only real quantifiable goal for this month was 5K hands of 6-max poker. So to work toward that end I fired up 4 tables of NL50 6-max Monday night and promptly got my ass handed to me. I dropped $95 in 310 hands (-30.5BB/100). I was really letting myself get pushed around and when I did pick a spot to make a stand I was usually crushed. An example:



The BB here was a total fish (86/64/18 over 60 hands). SB is bad as well at 35/21/.05 over just under 50 hands at the time. The BB had shown several bluffs where he pushed with little to nothing. If the SB hadn't stuck around I would have called the BBs river shove here with TPTK and felt pretty good about it. With the SB still in the hand though, I knew when the flush card hit someone had gotten lucky and it wasn't me. I suppose I should have called the BB here even if I thought the SB got there because I could have won about $4 overall on the hand (a $34 swing) due to the stack differential with the SB, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Here is an earlier big hand with the villain from the previous example to prove my point about his willingness to get it an with not a whole lot:



Anyway after last night's terrible outing I decided that NL50 may not be the best place to start playing 6-max. So tonight I when I fired up Tilt I opened 4 Nl25 6-max tables instead. Let's just say that things couldn't have been anymore different. I ended the session after 515 hands up $120 (46.5BB/100). I did have a great run of cards when I needed them but I also for whatever reason just felt more comfortable. I made some pretty decent reads on my opponents ranges and generally acted accordingly.

Here is a hand where I'm just unsure I played correctly:



I'm OOP with an overpair on a board that nails my LP opponent's (38/3/1, 50 hands) range. Is check-calling my way to SD appropriate here? Can we find a bet on the river to possibly get more value? Just not sure here.

Overall my 6-max experiment is up so far. Not sure I like the way NL50 is going so my plan is to play at least these 5K hands at NL25 and then reevaluate from there.

No comments: