September 9, 2008

6-Max: It Ain't Me Babe!

My only real goal for September was to play 5K hands at 6-max. I will fail at this goal. 6-max is just a short-hand way of saying tilt-inducing, mindfuck poker. I can't take it any more. It brings out the worst in me. I tilt. I tilt hard. I tilt more often. I tilt to the point that the any 2 carders are justified playing pots with me. I'm done. 6-max totals: $-149 over 3325 hands (mostly NL25 with a 350 NL50 6-max hands thrown in).

Tonight started with me opening 4 NL25 6-max tables. Within 31 hands I was down $22 and I was steaming, so I just shut everything down (literally just held the fucking power button down til the PC shutdown). After taking a few minutes to breathe and calm down I restarted the PC, reopened Full Tilt, and sat down at 8 NL50 FR tables. Ahhhhh, just like home. For whatever fucking mental ass reason my brain was happy again. I just played my normal FR, tight-ass, nitty game and I cruised to an easy and unrealistically good $260 session over 550 hands (48BB/100). Now the deck did run me over quite a bit and I did have one major suckout go my way but even when I got sucked out on it didn't matter. I never felt rushed or confused about my next action despite playing twice the number of tables. I never felt the need to defend my blind with total junk. I never tilted. I never shipped away a stack with Ace high. I never pushed all-in on the river praying for a fold that I knew wasn't coming. I never want to see a 6-max table again.

Having said all that I can see where 6-max could and would be very profitable for those with the mental game to withstand the sick beats. I don't have that yet and I'm fine with that. For me 6-max is definitely -EV and fortunately there is something I can do about it without having to work on my brain; Play FR. So that's where I'll be. Damn and I so wanted to be a cool kid.

Here's a horrible hand just because I haven't posted one for a while:


Just couldn't pull the trigger on the end. He was fairly passive (AF=.7) and may have folded TP here but then again he might have looked me up because I'm not sure my turn bet fits with a flush draw and it would have meant that I raised preflop and didn't have the Ace. On second thought not firing again here was probably the right move. The 2nd barrel was probably pretty bad though.

1 comment:

Icemonkey9 said...

Sorry you didn't have the success that most of the "cool kids" are having at 6max (I guess myself included). From your post it sounded like you got off of your game and tried to play some sort of "6max Special Edition" form of poker plus the swingy nature = tilting = worse play. Don't forget I think ChuckTs had 3 previous forays into 6max all negative before making the move over and being profitable, so don't be afraid to revisit it in the future.

For now, crush 50nl FR. You just kind of got there and it's time for a few months of sustained winning.