August 26, 2008

Finally A Good Run With Only One Real Mistake

Really good run tonight. 600 hands, $170 profit (28BB/100). I feel I actually played well, although I do think I'm way too results oriented when it comes to my perception of my play. Anyway, I did get a bit lucky to have AA vs KK and I also won a stack with AKs v 88 AIPF. So I do realize, had the cards fallen slightly differently, the end result could have been much different. Either way it feels good to book a solid win and get back in the green for the month (although still just barely).

Here is the one hand I feel I made a serious (read expensive) mistake on:


Wow, that looks really bad! The villain here had decent TAG stats (13/9/3) but I had seen him lose a stack with AK in a very similar spot (he 3 barreled that pot from OOP as well). So when he bet the river I used all my time and decided to make the "hero" call. Let's rename it the sucker call shall we. Whenever a villain turns over a boat and you have to show 2nd pair on a paired board, well let's just say dumb is about the best thing that I felt.

Had a couple of great fantasy football drafts yesterday and managed to stay relatively sober. I have 3 drafts to go and they're all this Sunday! Looks like it's going to be a long day. Good thing Monday's a holiday!

4 comments:

Jay said...

Good to see you back in the green WV. I think I'm giving up that hand on the turn tbh. I know exactly what you mean about looking like a fool though I did something well more horrendous today bluff shoving the turn in a 3bet pot when villain hits the nuts on the turn :(, did wonder for my meta game though!

bw07507 said...

WV one thing I've noticed is that a large pot bet on the river like that is a bluff almost never. I have yet to encounter too many 50NL FR people that will bet that large on the river with a bluff. Had he bet ~$12 I think that is more likely to be a bluff. I've called way too many of these potsized river bets with hands like yours and I can count the number of times Ive won on one hand.

Icemonkey9 said...

Hate to beat a dead horse, but what was the plan for the float on that hand? First at the flop he donk bet into you, that has to be a raise right? He either folds (weaker) or calls (better than you) or raises (better). The turn was the 'give up' point, as I've been seeing at 50nl and the river call is again a mystery ... but obviously you know all this but talking about float strategies with you would be interesting.

WVHillbilly said...

Thanks for the comments guys. I realized even at the time that I was likely throwing money away with that call. I just convinced myself that he didn't have the Queen (hey I was right!). Like I said in the post he played an UI AK similarly (although, as BW said, his river bet in that case was smaller).