June 23, 2008

1 Wedding, 1 2NL Session, 1 Hangover, and 1 Bad Run

Saturday was spent at my buddies wedding. Outdoor affair and more than a little hot in my tux. It was a little disorganized but everything went as well as you can hope aside from running a bit late. When we got to the reception it was clear that they had invited a very old, boring crowd. Basically there was never a line at the bar and there were very few of us drinking. Since he had brought a keg from the reception hall in addition to the open bar I had to drink more than my share of beer so it wouldn't be wasted.

So when my wife and I got home around midnight I was feeling pretty drunk and decided to sit down with a bunch of CC's finest for a crazy 2NL cash game. I ended up winning $4 or $5 but I should have won more if only I'd remembered we were playing seven-duece. Here is the hand.PokerStars Game #18299516662: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2008/06/22 - 02:44:26 (ET)
Table 'Philia' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: KingCurtis67 ($3.85 in chips)
Seat 2: aloevera ($5.60 in chips)
Seat 3: dsvw56 ($12.16 in chips)
Seat 5: KyleJRM ($3.94 in chips)
Seat 6: icemonkey9 ($4.16 in chips)
Seat 7: Munchers94 ($13.23 in chips)
Seat 8: sindri_93 ($2.68 in chips)
Seat 9: WVUHillbilly ($4.09 in chips)
Munchers94: posts small blind $0.01
sindri_93: posts big blind $0.02
Munchers94 said, "from each"
KingCurtis67 said, "ok"
muck__you123: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to WVUHillbilly [2h 7c] <--Note the hand
WVUHillbilly said, "just win the chippies and show the hand" <-- Note me talking about how to collect with 72
WVUHillbilly: folds <-- Note my drunk ass folding it
sindri_93 said, "damm chaser;)"
KyleJRM said, "okay, I'm in."
KingCurtis67: raises $0.06 to $0.08
aloevera: folds
KingCurtis67 said, "ittl make the game so fun"
Munchers94 said, ":D"
dsvw56: folds
KyleJRM: folds
icemonkey9: folds
Munchers94: raises $0.16 to $0.24
sindri_93: folds
KingCurtis67: calls $0.16
*** FLOP *** [2s 5d 2c] <-- Note the flop
Munchers94: bets $0.30
muck__you123 said, "was funny watching that dude on hsp lose 100grand"
KingCurtis67: calls $0.30
*** TURN *** [2s 5d 2c] [9d]
Munchers94: bets $0.66
KingCurtis67: calls $0.66
*** RIVER *** [2s 5d 2c 9d] [4s]
muck__you123 said, "with the 27"
Munchers94: bets $1.70
KingCurtis67: calls $1.70
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Munchers94: shows [Ac Td] (a pair of Deuces)
KingCurtis67: shows [Tc Ah] (a pair of Deuces)
^^^^Note the fact that they both had the same hand (AKA Nothing)
WVUHillbilly said, "damni I just folded it ther UTG and I would have won it all" <-- Note me telling everyone that I'm an idiot
Munchers94 collected $2.79 from pot
KingCurtis67 collected $2.78 from pot
KingCurtis67 said, "knew it"
Munchers94 said, "wow"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $5.82 | Rake $0.25
Board [2s 5d 2c 9d 4s]
Seat 1: KingCurtis67 showed [Tc Ah] and won ($2.78) with a pair of Deuces
Seat 2: aloevera folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: dsvw56 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: KyleJRM folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: icemonkey9 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: Munchers94 (small blind) showed [Ac Td] and won ($2.79) with a pair of Deuces
Seat 8: sindri_93 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: WVUHillbilly folded before Flop (didn't bet) <-- Just to confirm my stupidity

A few hands after this Icemonkey actually called Aloe's all-in with 72, which made me laugh pretty hard. You can read all about it on his blog.

I left the table @ 3AM and passed out rather quickly. When I got up this morning (anything before noon is technically morning right) my head was absolutely pounding so I downed a few advil and crawled out to the couch. A few hour later my wife left for the evening to go to a play with a few of her friends and I was feeling well enough to play some poker. Looking back I wish I hadn't. I played 1300 hands and dropped anothe $44 (-6.75 ptbb/100). So now I've almost lost all my gains from late last week and I noticed at the end of the session tonight I was playing very tentative poker and hoping not to lose too much money. That's never good but hopefully now that I've identified it I'll be able to stop the bleeding. This is probably my worst played hand of the session and it's a fine example of getting it in with a draw that isn't nearly as big as it looks.



Ok I hate our villain's slow play of AKos preflop and throughout the hand but when he gives us great odds to call his turn min raise we need to take it and not push our chips in and hope for the best. We do pick up 8 outs on the turn but out equity is actually slightly less than it was on the flop. We are however getting odds to CALL his bet and see if the river makes our hand. I don't know how often he'd have to fold here to make our push +EV (maybe Zachvac will answer that one) but from his stats (32/4/2.5 and WTSD 34%) I should have known he isn't folding even TP here let alone top 2.

No comments: