June 17, 2008

God Loves A Donkey

Up and down day today that ended up about +$15 on almost 950 hands (~3 ptbb/100). Standard beats mostly with a few really costly losing sets thrown in for good measure. Whenever I lose with a set it, of course, sucks but it doesn't tilt me because I know no matter what I'm almost always going to be willing to stack with them. I figure I'll win more than I lose and that it is a play with positive expectations.

Now for a play with negative expectations! I'll try to explain this lunacy away by saying that the villain had been stealing quite a bit (50% over 60 hands) and I really just thought this was another steal attempt.



So I don't hate my preflop call or even my flop raise (remember I think he's stealing and that my fours are likely good) but my bet on the turn after he's called my raise on the flop is bad. He's checked to us and is willing to allow us to see the river for free so we need to take it. Luckily, and surprisingly, he's still slowplaying those rockets and just calls my turn craziness thus allowing me to catch my set on the river. Honestly though when he pushed the river I really figured a bigger set was likely, but, like I said before, I just don't fold sets.

So once again dumb gets rewarded and someone else gets to type "spewtard" into their notes on me! I hope someday you'll see my face next to that word on Wikipedia. Until then I guess I'll just have to be happy in the knowledge that I can play horribly yet there is just enough chance involved (4% in this case on the river) to get me through.

No comments: