June 19, 2008

Stacking Off To A Set

Good day today which managed to make up for yesterday and then some. I finished +$70 over 1150 hands (12 ptbb/100) while trying out Hold'em Manager as an alternative to the constantly crashing Poker Tracker 3. While HM worked as advertised and the HUD was rock solid, I just didn't really care for the overall look and feel of the program. I would however recommend that if you're in the market for current generation tracking software you at least test both products. I'll be the guy waiting for PT3 to get fixed. :(

So even with a good day overall there were actually several hand that I played pretty badly tonight. I stacked off once with 88 v. KK on a board of all unders and again with the following hand.



Paying off sets is something that I seem to do fairly regularly and often it is the correct play (because they're just so hard to spot) but this one I think I almost knew before I called his shove that I need to hit another Q to win. Our villain here is 14/8/1 over 250 hands and he's likely never pushing this flop without a hand that beats us. Still can't bring myself to fold big overpairs. Need to work on that.

3 comments:

Icemonkey9 said...

Spotting a set IS tough. His AF was so tight you had to most likely put him on it but you figure you win these more often than not. At least you had the stones to call.

You sound like a big shot at your work btw.

WVHillbilly said...

Yeah, it can be tough to see them, but I doubt a guy with his numbers pushes with anything we beat often enough to make calling +EV. It's not stones that it takes to call, you just have to be a calling station! :)

As for work, it's not hard to be the big shot when you're the only shot! Small company with a one man IT department. Always fun.

Anonymous said...

WV - something I'm weary of lately (he says even though he did it again tonight!) is stacking off in a 2bet pot with an overpair to the board. It is easier said than done but hey. Your running hot with the new HEM ;).