July 10, 2008

A Good Bad Session Or Was It A Bad Good Session

I'm not sure which is proper so let's just spell it out. I made money. $67 over 922 hands or 14.5BB/100. That's great. I needed a winning session. Now comes the bad news, I was incredibly lucky (as you shall see) that I didn't lose $40. I didn't play particularly well but I experienced the good (for my BR) side of variance.

Probably my worst play of the day:


Villain here is decent 17/14/5 over 100+ hands and the only thing he has here that we beat preflop is AK (1st time I'd seen him 3bet preflop). I KNOW that stacking here is wrong. Thanks to a great catch my stack doubles. Horrible.

Next one's not much better:


I 4bet small preflop (no idea what I was thinking) and then stack holding AA with KKQ on board. The only thing I have going for me here is that this villain (33/14/1.5 WTSD of 32% over 200 hands) is bad enough to stack with AQ. Of course this time I need to hit another 2 outer to win.

So even though I booked a good winning session, my all-in EV over the session was only +$4. In other words I was a lot more lucky than good. What do you think Good Bad or Bad Good?

No comments: